Citing ‘inequality’, nearly 400 Hindus embrace Buddhism at Ahmedabad event

ในห้อง 'Buddhist News' ตั้งกระทู้โดย supatorn, 9 พฤศจิกายน 2023.

1. supatorn

supatorn ผู้สนับสนุนเว็บพลังจิต ผู้สนับสนุนพิเศษ

วันที่สมัครสมาชิก:
    14 กรกฎาคม 2010
    โพสต์:
    กระทู้เรื่องเด่น:
    ค่าพลัง:
    +33,033
    Citing ‘inequality’, nearly 400 Hindus embrace Buddhism at Ahmedabad event
    The day-long ceremony headed

by Bhadant Pragyasheel Mahathero from Amravati Maharashtra saw individuals and families from Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, Vadodara, Mehsana, Surendranagar and Botad adopt Buddhism.
    By: Express News Service

Ahmedabad | Updated: October 25, 2023 09:16 IST
    Buddishm-5col.jpg

Buddhism Hindus embrace Buddhism, Hindus embrace Buddhism at Ahmedabad event, Buddhism, Ahmedabad news, Gujarat news, India news, Indian express, Indian express India news, Indian express India
    Nearly 400 Hindus from across the state converted to Buddhism at an event organised by Gujarat Buddhist Academy on the occasion of Dussehra in Ahmedabad Tuesday. This is the 14th such event being organised annually on Dussehra.

The day-long ceremony headed by Bhadant Pragyasheel Mahathero from Amravati Maharashtra saw individuals and families from Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, Vadodara, Mehsana, Surendranagar and Botad adopt Buddhism.

Vadodara-based Pravinbhai Parmar, 38, who was among those who converted, cited inequality in the Hindu religion for his decision. “There is equality, love and compassion in Buddhism. No discrimination, unlike the Hindu religion where there is discrimination everywhere and increasing atrocities on Dalits day by day. What is the point of being a Hindu when there is nothing good for us,” he said.
    Most of those who converted were from the Dalit community.
    Parmar, who works at a private school, has been associated with the academy since 2013, but decided to embrace the religion now. His wife and two daughters aged nine and seven also followed his suit. “As we got to know more about Buddhism we thought this was the right time for the move,” he added.
    Of the 418 persons who had submitted their applications to the Collector’s office a month ago for the conversion, nearly 90 per cent were present today for the deeksha, said Gujarat Buddhist Academy secretary Ramesh Bankar. “A majority of them have converted to Buddhism as this religion looks at everyone with equality unlike untouchability and caste discrimination in Hinduism,” he echoed Parmar’s views.
    Bankar added that the organisation has been conducting deeksha events since 2010.
    The family of 22-year-old Ashwini Kumar Solanki from Randheja in Gandhinagar was also among those converted. “My parents aged 69 and 70, too, have taken deeksha today. My father has been associated with Buddhism since 2004 and it is he who suggested that we should embrace this religion,” he said.
    However, there were also individuals like R K Jadav (71), a resident of Chandkheda in Ahmedabad, who was the only one from his family to get converted. “My family also believes in Buddhism but I thought let me first take this step and then my family members can follow,” he said.

© The Indian Express Pvt Ltd

First published on: 25-10-2023 at 03:42 IST
    :- https://indianexpress.com/article/c...-embrace-buddhism-at-ahmedabad-event-8998151/

แชร์หน้านี้